- Adam Winthrop m. Joane Burton; Lavenham, Suffolk, Eng.
- Adam Winthrop (14981562) m. (2) 1534 Agnes Sharpe (ca. 15161565); Lavenham, Groton, Suffolk, Eng.
- Adam Winthrop (15481623) m. (2) 1579 Anne Browne (ca. 15601629); Groton, Suffolk, Eng.
- Gov. John Winthrop (15881649) m. (1) 1605 Mary Forth (15831615); Groton, Suffolk, Eng.; Boston, Mass.
- Gov. John Winthrop (16061676) m. (2) 1635 Elizabeth Reade (ca. 16351672); Groton, Suffolk, Eng.; Boston, Mass.; Hartford, Conn.
- Elizabeth Winthrop (16361716) m. (1) 1658 Rev. Antipas Newman (16271672); Wenham, Boston, Mass.
The classic genealogical work on this family is Lawrence Shaw Mayo, The Winthrop Family in America (Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 1948).
The published documentation on this family has been further enriched by the ongoing publication of the Winthrop Papers, 6 vols. to date (Boston:
Massachusetts Historical Society, 192992), which begins with the familys Latin pedigree (1:1-7). Some of the original records relevant to this
lineage were first printed in Walter Goodwin Davis,
Reade, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 84 (1930): 113, and Walter Goodwin
The Second Marriage of John Winthrop the Younger, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 88 (1394): 301. Robert Charles
Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 16201633, 3 vols. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995),
3:2040-1, and Robert Charles Anderson, The Winthrop Fleet: Massachusetts Bay Company Immigrants to New England, 16291630 (Boston: New England
Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 686-91, call attention to some inaccuracies in printed materials. Several of the associated families receive brief
treatment in Joseph James Muskett, Suffolk Manorial Families, 3 vols. (Exeter: William Pollard & Co., Ltd., 190314), vol. 1.
No additional information on the Burton family is available at this time.
Austin W. Spencer | email: firstname.lastname@example.org