- Thomas Whitcomb (d. 1619) m. ca. 1585 Johanna Pope (1560?1629); Taunton, Somerset, Eng.
- John Whitcomb (bef. 15981662) m. 1623 Frances Cogan (16061671); Taunton, Somerset, Eng.; Hingham, Lancaster, Mass.
- Jonathan Whitcomb (ca. 1636bef. 1691) m. 1667 Hannah ____ (d. 1692); Lancaster, Mass.
- Jonathan Whitcomb (16691715) m. (1) Mary ?Joslin (d. bef. 1710); Lancaster, Groton, Mass.
- Joseph Whitcomb (ca. 1692bef. 1738) m. Elizabeth Wheeler (1678aft. 1728); Littleton, Stow, Lancaster, Mass.
- Joseph Whitcomb (1714aft. 1796) m. Mary ____ (d. aft. 1749); Reading, Mass.; Ellington, Tolland, Conn.
- Mary Whitcomb (ca. 17471830) m. 1763 Joseph Wood (17411810); Ellington, Tolland, Conn.; Dalton, Mass.; New Berlin, N. Y.
Attention is directed to the research of Robin Bush, in Search for the Passengers of the Mary & John, 1630, vol. 26 (Toledo, Ohio: Burton W. Spear, 1997), 61-73, for the English generations. Bush establishes that Thomas was a brother of John Whetcombe, mercer of Sherborne, Dorset, whose will of 1598, from PCC 76 Lewyn, was abstracted ibid., vol. 18 (Toledo, Ohio: Burton W. Spear, 1992), 150. Their further ancestry has not been determined.
Robert Charles Anderson, George Freeman Sanborn Jr., and Melinde Lutz Sanborn, The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 16341635, 7 vols. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical
Society, 19992011), 7:326-31, provides a useful biography of John Whitcomb, together with a bibliography of standard sources. Among the printed genealogies of Johns family, the most reliable general
treatment is Charlotte Whitcomb, The Whitcomb Family in America: A Biographical Genealogy with a Chapter on Our English Forbears
by the Name of Whetcombe (Minneapolis, 1904). Whitcomb often ignored
families whose connection with John was not easily documented, however, and the follow-up work by Mary Anne R. Shepherd, John Whitcomb and Frances Coggin 350 Years Later, 2 vols. (Del Mar, Calif., 1981),
contains numerous errors and no documentation. The maiden name of the younger Jonathan Whitcombs wife continues to be a point of contention. Her placement in the Josselyn family is accepted by Edith S. Wessler,
comp., The JocelynJoslinJoslynJosselyn Family (Rutland, Vt.: Charles E. Tuttle Company, 1961), 83, but not T. W. Harris,
Notes on the Josselyn Family, of Massachusetts, New England
Historical and Genealogical Register 2 (1848): 306-10, at 307-8, or Elizabeth French,
Genealogical Research in England: Josselyn, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 71 (1917) 17-33,
227-57, at 256. The last three generations of this line are developed most fully by Austin W. Spencer,
Joseph4 and Elizabeth (Wheeler) Whitcomb of Middlesex County, Massachusetts,
and Some of Their Descendants, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 169 (2015): 121-30, 245-55.
Austin W. Spencer | email: email@example.com