- Eustace Gates or Jaques (d. 1626) m. 1593 Rose Wright (15671635); Coney Weston, Suffolk, Eng.
- Stephen Gates (15971662) m. 1628 Ann Neave (ca. 16031683); Hingham, Cambridge, Mass.
- Simon Gates (16461692) m. 1670 Margaret Barstow (16501707); Cambridge, Brookline, Mass.
- Margaret Gates (b. 1689) m. ca. 1710 James Howe (16851734); Marlborough, Worcester, Mass.
- Stephen Gates (d. 1662) m. 1628 Ann Neave (ca. 16031683); Hingham, Cambridge, Mass.
- Stephen Gates (ca. 16341707) m. Sarah Woodward (b. 1643); Cambridge, Mass.
- Simon Gates (16661752) m. 1688 Hannah Benjamin (b. 1669); Cambridge, Stow, Mass.
- Hannah Gates (b. 1689) m. Oliver Heald (16861755); Stow, Mass.
The basic sources on the Gates family of Massachusetts are Clarence Almon Torrey,
English Origin of Stephen Gates, American Genealogist 14 (1937/8): 199-200;
Clarence Almon Torrey,
Stephen Gates of Hingham, Lancaster, and Cambridge, and Some of His Descendants, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 120 (1966): 161-70, 260-72; 121 (1967): 45-64;
and, most recently, Edward J. Harrison,
The English Origins of Stephen Gates, 1638 Immigrant to Massachusetts, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 160 (2006): 7-14.
In a follow-up article, Edward J. Harrison,
Ann Neave, Wife of Stephen Gates, 1638 Immigrant to Massachusetts, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 163 (2009): 134-6,
the same writer corrects the surname of the immigrants wife from Veare, as traditionally accepted, but reports that an extensive search had produced no other reliable information about her.
No additional information on the Neave family is avaiable at this time.
Austin W. Spencer | email: email@example.com