1449, 1465. Brewster
- William Brewster (d. ca. 1521) m. ____; Bentley cum Arskey, Yorkshire, England
- William Brewster (d. aft. 1524) m. Maud Man (d. aft. 1558); Bentley cum Arskey, Yorkshire, England
- William Brewster (d. 1590) m. (1) Mary (Smythe) Simkinson; Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England
- William Brewster (ca. 15671644) m. Mary ____ (ca. 15691627); Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England; Plymouth, Mass.
- Love Brewster (ca. 1611bef. 1651) m. 1634 Sarah Collier (16161691); Plymouth, Duxbury, Mass.
- Wrestling Brewster (ca. 16471697) m. Mary ____ (16611742); Duxbury, Mass.
- Sarah Brewster (ca. 1682aft. 1730) m. 1705 Caleb Stetson (1683aft. 1742); Plymouth, Mass.
Owing to the passage of William Brewster on the Mayflower, this family has attracted much interest. The classic exposition is Emma C. Brewster Jones, comp. and ed., The Brewster Genealogy, 15661907: A Record of the Descendants of William Brewster of the Mayflower, Ruling Elder of the Pilgrim Church Which Founded Plymouth Colony in 1620, 2 vols. (New York: Grafton Press, 1908). Authoritative treatment of the American generations is in Barbara Lambert Merrick, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts, in December 1620, vol. 24, The Descendants of Elder William Brewster, Part 1, ed. Scott Andrew Bartley (Plymouth, Mass.: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2014), esp. 1-37, 105-15, 194-8, 371-4; Part 3, ed. John Bradley Arthaud (Plymouth, Mass.: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2019), 195-6; and Barbara Lambert Merrick, comp., Mayflower Families in Progress: William Brewster of the Mayflower and the Fifth Generation Descendants of His Son Love² (Plymouth, Mass.: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2003), 87-8.
The English ancestry remains thinly documented and controversial, partly because much of the research in print was written by John G. Hunt, whose work is not universally accepted today.
See John G. Hunt,
New Light on the Brewsters of Scrooby and New England, American Genealogist 41 (1965): 1-5;
John G. Hunt,
The Mother of Elder William Brewster of the Mayflower, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 124 (1970): 250-6.
Maud Man is known only as the sister of Christopher Man, from the latters will of 1558 (Hunt,
Mother of Elder William Brrewster, 253 n. 5). No further information about her family is available.
Austin W. Spencer | email: firstname.lastname@example.org