- Dea. William Gaylord (ca. 15851673) m. ____; Crewkerne, Somerset, Eng.; Windsor, Conn.
- William Gaylord (16171656) m. (1) 1642 Ann Porter (16211653); Windsor, Conn.
- William Gaylord (16511680) m. 1671 Ruth Crow (d. bef. 1688); Windsor, Conn.; Hadley, Mass.
- Samuel Gaylord (16761734) m. 1702 Mary Dickinson (1678aft. 1751); Hadley, Mass.
- Sarah Gaylord (17091790) m. 1732 Jonathan Cowles (17031776); Hadley, Amherst, Mass.
The basic source on the origins of this family is John Insley Coddington,
Clues to the English Home of William¹ Gaylord, of Dorchester, Mass., and Windsor, Conn., American Genealogist 17 (1940/1): 71-4,
amplified by Benjamin H. Gaylord,
The English Ancestry of Deacon William Gaylord: New Light and Observations, American Genealogist 58 (1982): 218-23.
Among other things, Gaylord urges against rushing to connect the immigrant with the family long established at Pitminster, Somerset.
Maude Pinney Kuhns, The
Mary and John: A Story of the Founding of Dorchester, Massachusetts, 1630 (Rutland, Vt.: Tuttle Publishing Co., 1943), 29-31, heeds no such caution, but is nevertheless useful for the early American generations.
Finally, Lucius M. Boltwood,
Genealogies of Hadley Families, in Sylvester Judd, History of Hadley (Springfield, Mass.: H. R. Huntting & Co., 1905), 55, completes my descent.
Austin W. Spencer | email: email@example.com