- Robert Mason (d. 1667) m. 1624 Mary Wise (d. 1637); All Saints, Sudbury, Suffolk, Eng.; Roxbury, Mass.
- Robert Mason (16281700) m. 1659 Abigail Eaton (16401711); Dedham, Medfield, Mass.
- Joseph Mason (16691728) m. 1705 Elizabeth Daniel (1679aft. 1730); Medfield, Mass.
- Joseph Mason (17141807) m. (2) 1761 Ruth (Wheat) Glover (ca. 17341821?); Medfield, Sturbridge, Belchertown, Mass.
- Joseph Mason (17661831) m. (1) 1790 Hannah Wood (17691829?); Cummington, Plainfield, Mass.
- Sophronia Mason (18011873) m. 1821 Sylvester Cowles (17951878); Amherst, Mass.; Brunswick, Ohio
Information on the familys English origin and the wife of Robert (gen. 1) may be found in Douglas Richardson,
Widow Wise of Roxbury, Mass., and Her Sons-in-Law, Joseph Weld and Robert Mason, American Genealogist 55 (1979): 149-50.
Brief outlines of the early generations of this family in America are given in William L. Mason, ed., A Record of the Descendants of Robert Mason of Roxbury, Mass. (Milwaukee, Wis.: Burdick, Armitage & Allen, Printers, 1891), and
William S. Tilden, ed., History of the Town of Medfield, Massachusetts: With Genealogies of the Families that Held Real Estate or Made Any Considerable Stay in the Town during the First Two Centuries (Boston: Geo. H. Ellis, 1887), 429, 435, 436.
Mason and Tilden both end with the first wife of Joseph (gen. 4) and her children. Austin W. Spencer,
Joseph Mason of Cummington and Plainfield, Massachusetts, and His Family, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 172 (2018): 212-20, 332-40, documents Josephs second wife and her children with him, one of whom is the title subject. This article also documents the family of Joseph (gen. 5).
Austin W. Spencer | email: firstname.lastname@example.org