- John Stone (ca. 1420bef. 1487) m. ____; Ardleigh, Essex, Eng.
- Simon Stone (ca. 14501511) m. Elizabeth ____ (d. aft. 1506); Ardleigh, Great Bromley, Essex, Eng.
- David Stone (ca. 1480bef. 1544) m. ____; Great Bromley, Kirby-le-Soken, Essex, Eng.
- Simon Stone (ca. 15071557) m. ca. 1533 Agnes ____ (d. aft. 1558); Great Bromley, Essex, Eng.
- John Stone (ca. 1535aft. 1600) m. ____; Great Bromley, Essex, Eng.
- Henry Stone (ca. 1566aft. 1601) m. 1585 Margery Church (1562aft. 1601); Great Bromley, Essex, Eng.
- Susan Stone (15971684) m. (2) 1628 Henry Kemball (ca. 15901648); Mistley, Essex, Eng.; Watertown, Mass.
J. Gardner Bartlett, Simon Stone Genealogy: Ancestry and Descendants of Deacon Simon Stone of Watertown, Mass., 13201926 (Boston: Published for the Stone Family Association, 1926), 12-39,
contains the pioneering study of this East Anglian yeoman family, which is also ancestral to Gregory Stone, John Lovering, and Susans son by her first husband, Richard Cutting. Unfortunately,
Bartlett omitted Henry Stone from his account of the English family and assigned the immigrant Susan (Stone) (Cutting) Kemball a baptism that was inconsistent with her age as recorded in 1635. The
chronological observation was first made by David L. Greene,
Susanna (Stone) (Cutting) (Kimball) Low Addendum, American Genealogist 55 (1979): 26-7, and it prompted new research in the
parish registers that resulted in the revised lineage, in Dean Crawford Smith, The Ancestry of Eva Belle Kempton, Part I: The Ancestry of Warren Francis Kempton, ed. Melinde Lutz Sanborn
(Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1996), 444-9. This work appears only to follow the ancestry for five generations, to the first Simon Stone, but his identification as a son of John
can be supported on the grounds that John, his eldest son Walter, and Simons son Walter were all copyhold tenants in the estate called Barons in Ardleigh (Bartlett, pp. 18, 19, 23). See also
David L. Greene,
Susanna Stone, Wife of Henry Kimball and Thomas Low, American Genealogist 53 (1977): 245-6, for Susans later history.
Austin W. Spencer | email: firstname.lastname@example.org