- Nathaniel Woodward (d. aft. 1669) m. 1608 Margaret Lawrence (d. aft. 1661); Rushden, Northants.; Puddington, Beds., Eng.; Boston, Mass.
- Nathaniel Woodward (1608?bef. 1695) m. (1) bef. 1639 Mary Jackson (b. 1618); Boston, Mass.
- Israel Woodward (d. 1674) m. 1670 Jane Godfrey (ca. 16521736); Taunton, Mass.
- Israel Woodward (16741762) m. 1698 Bennet Eddy (ca. 16781740); Taunton, Swansea, Mass.; Newport, R. I.
- Mary Woodward (ca. 17001745) m. 1716 Capt. Esbon Sanford (16931743); Newport, R. I.
The definitive work on the English and early American generations of this line is Doris J. Woodward and Patricia Law Hatcher,
The English Origin of Nathaniel Woodward: Early Settler of Boston, Massachusetts, and Ancestor of Beamsley Woodward of Maine, Maine Genealogist 20 (1998): 147-68.
For tracing the last two generations of my line, the earlier publications described by Woodward and Hatcher at 147-51 still have value. Of these, I have chiefly relied on
Theron Royal Woodward,
Nathaniel Woodward of Boston, and Some of His Descendants, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 51 (1897): 169-81.
No additional information on the Lawrence family is available at this time. Nor do Woodward and Hatcher find evidence to decide among multiple candidates for the parents of the elder Nathaniel Woodward of Rushden.
Austin W. Spencer | email: firstname.lastname@example.org