- James Hosmer (d. 1605) m. Agnes ____ (d. 1614); Ticehurst, Sussex, Eng.
- Stephen Hosmer (15701633) m. 1602 Dorothy Selden (ca. 15821640); Hawkhurst, Kent, Eng.
- James Hosmer (16051686) m. (1) Mary ____ (d. 1641); Concord, Mass.
- James Hosmer (16371676) m. Sarah White (16431711); Concord, Mass.
- Sarah Hosmer (ca. 16591724) m. 1681 Col. Thomas Howe (16561733); Marlborough, Mass.
The English origin of this family is documented in George Leonard Hosmer, Hosmer Genealogy: Descendants of James Hosmer Who Emigrated to America in 1635 and Settled in Concord, Mass. (Cambridge, Mass.: Technical Composition Company, 1928), 6-8.
These findings supersede the Iddenden connection adduced by Elizabeth French,
Genealogical Research in England, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 68 (1914): 187-9.
Ronald Longaker Roberts, comp., The Hosmer Heritage: Ancestors and Descendants of the Emigrant Thomas Hosmer (16031687) (South Lake Tahoe, Calif.: author, 1984), 107-15, supplements a good synthesis of the secondary literature with previously overlooked parish register entries.
The American generations are developed from Concord, Massachusetts Births, Marriages and Deaths, 16351850 (Concord: town, n. d.) and from
Almira Larkin White, Genealogy of the Ancestors and Descendants of John White of Wenham and Lancaster, Massachusetts, 15471909, 4 vols. (Haverhill, Mass.: Chase Brothers, 190009), 1:21-32.
Austin W. Spencer | email: email@example.com